Monday 20 February 2012

The Cover Wars: Haunting Violet





Rea of Rea's Reading and Reviews and I decided to get together to do a weekly meme where we would compare covers of the UK editions of books with those of the US editions.
The aim of this is to just have a bit of fun. We put ourselves in the position where we see both of these books side by side in the bookstore. Which would we choose? Why that one and not the other?

This week, we will be comparing the UK and US covers of Haunting Violet by Alyxandra Harvey because we have both read this. I loved the book so much, and I loved how different it was to the other books I was reading before this.



The First book is the US version and the Second one is the UK
version.



Tara says: This is a really hard one, because i like both covers. The US one shows a girl as does the UK one, they both look a little creepy and haunting so that goes well with the title. Both covers have a hint of purple for Violet, and they both tell a little about what the book is about. In the book 'water' is mentioned a lot so that is the only reason why I'm going with the US version.


Rea says: I find that I’m torn about this one. Initially, I was much more attracted to the UK version – there’s something about the purple and black together with the mist coming off the water and the bare trees that gives it a very appealing gothic look. Having read the book, though, I’m not sure Violet ever wears the black dress depicted on the cover so it’s just there for atmospheric effect. The US cover is much more true to the events of the book. The girl depicted is the one who was drowned in the pond. Unfortunately, she doesn’t look drowned. She looks like she’s gone for a float and her hair looks dry, which kind of ruins the effect. After some contemplation, I’m going to go with my initial preference here. UK for me.




Score: 

Week 5:     US: 1    UK: 2    Draw:1



Do you want to join in too? Here’s how:
Step 1: Copy and paste the Cover Wars image.

Step 2: Copy and paste our intro or write your own but it must link back to both of our blogs.

Step 3: Copy and paste the US and UK cover images.

Step 4: Compare the two.

Step 5: Either use our score or keep your own score.

Step 6: Post it and share it!

Thanks and have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments :D So please Comment :D haha

My goodreads :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...