Saturday 28 April 2012

Review of The Emerald City by J.A. Beard

The Emerald City

Description 
In this loose re-imagining of the Wizard of Oz, Kansas teen Gail Dorjee has tried to escape from the pain of her parents' death by retreating into a hard shell of anger and sarcasm.

When her aunt and uncle ship her off to an elite Seattle boarding school, Osland Academy, she spends her first day making enemies, including the school's most powerful clique, the Winged, and their leader, the ruthless Diana.

Social war and the school's uptight teachers are only mild annoyances. Mysterious phone outages, bizarre behavioral blocks, and strange incidents suggest Osland is focused on something much more sinister than education.

Now Gail has to survive at Osland with a pretty pathetic assortment of potential allies: her airhead roommate, a cowardly victim of the Winged, and Diana's cold but handsome boyfriend, Nick.

My Thoughts
I heard about this in a group called Basically Books on goodreads which I am part of, as a sort of thing which you can get free copies of a book as long as you read it within a certain time frame and you review it. I really love the cover and the fact you see something of which will happen in the book, its makes you curious on what is going to happen as well. The title of the books is really really interesting as Emerald is the colour green and green is my favourite colour so it makes me want to read it even more :D.

I really loved this book for many reasons. One reason is I have never ever ever read a book like this ever before. This book is unique and completely new to me so I loved reading it as I did finish this in 2 days because it was that good. I think if the book was longer and more detail was in it, it would of been even better but no matter what it was a good book. The style of writing and the pace of the book was perfect and easy to read and understand. The POV is centred around Gail the main girl character.

Gail is a girl who is still getting over the death of her parents and the fact she is being sent to a boarding school. I really liked her a lot, because her sarcasm and strange attitude is what made this book different, because normally in books the girls are perfect and they have had no bad luck until now, if you get what i mean but with Gail she has had a very bad past months or so.
Diana was mean, horrible and I hated her, but as the book goes on and the story is told you find out more about her.
Nick, is one strange guy who I really wanted to know more about as the book went on. When I turned my kindle off or breaks or to go to sleep all I could think of was "I want to know more about Nick". So as the book goes on, you do find out why he is who he is and why he acts so cold.
Gail's friends are amazing and I like how different all 3 are. Gail is sarcastic and strange, one of her friends is shy and nervous all the time and the other is so happy and hyper. I like how when you put all 3 together you have an amazing friendship.
The teachers in this book are so mysterious as well and I just wanted to slap a few of them for them being so ignorant on the bullying side of it. As the book goes on the more you find out about the teachers.

My overall opinion of this book is, I loved it so much but wished it could of went on for longer :)
I recommend this book to everyone who loves an easy read with a great storyline :)

Tara
Rating: 




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments :D So please Comment :D haha

My goodreads :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...