Saturday 6 August 2011

Review of Sabriel (Abhorsen #1) by Garth Nix

Sabriel (The Abhorsen Trilogy, #1)Description
Who will guard the living when the dead arise? Sabriel is sent as a child across the Wall to the safety of a school in Ancelstierre. Away from magic; away from the Dead. After receiving a cryptic message from her father, 18-year-old Sabriel leaves her ordinary school and returns across the Wall into the Old Kingdom. Fraught with peril and deadly trickery, her journey takes her to a world filled with parasitical spirits, Mordicants, and Shadow Hands -- for her father is none other than The Abhorson. His task is to lay the disturbed dead back to rest. This obliges him -- and now Sabriel, who has taken on her father's title and duties -- to slip over the border into the icy river of Death, sometimes battling the evil forces that lurk there, waiting for an opportunity to escape into the realm of the living. Desperate to find her father, and grimly determined to help save the Old Kingdom from destruction by the horrible forces of the evil undead, Sabriel endures almost impossible challenges whilst discovering her own supernatural abilities -- and her destiny

^^GoodReads^^

My Thoughts
This book was the first in a trilogy, but is the first in a series now :)

When I was younger the cover drew me in. I picked it up and opened it, but when I read the first page of the book I put it straight back down. Bear in mind that I was young and I didn't really read books then. This is also my sister's, I think most books I read are from my sister, so anyway I looked at it and was like wait, I'm sure I read this before but then she told me I read the first page so I went this time I will read it all.

The author of this book, must have thought a lot about it, and put a lot of detail into everything, because I found everything perfect. Although the beginning was slow and I didn't really jump into it after a while, maybe after I read a 1/4 of this book, I finally got engrossed into it. I was left wanting to read more and more of it. The writing style was a bit confusing at times for me, but I got used it. The POV was focused on one person throughout the book.

My thoughts on the characters ares that I thought they were portrayed in a great and amazing way. They had flaws like everyone else, and Sabrial didn't like the fact she had all of this weight on her shoulders but she took it on herself and did what her role was. Mogget the cat was an interesting character and was funny at times, but dark and twisted at others.

My overall opinion on this book is that it was an amazing adventure story that had magic and creatures beyond your imagination.


Tara
Rating: 







PS. Don't forget to follow me on my blog and twitter, @Basicallybook




4 comments:

  1. Hey Tara! I wanted to let you know that I awarded your blog! Check out the post here and pick up your award. :)

    http://yabooksbeyondthecover.blogspot.com/2011/08/my-first-blogging-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read this trilogy like donkey's years ago. And I thought that it was great then!! But the problem was there was no other books in the series but the three books, at that time. And I really really wanted to read more after the third book, it was frustrating!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now theres a 4th, but its set before sabriel and its about Chlorr the mask or somit when she was a abhorsen

    ReplyDelete

I love comments :D So please Comment :D haha

My goodreads :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...