Thursday 29 December 2011

Review of Room by Emma Donoghue

Room
Description
In many ways, Jack is a typical 5-year-old. He likes to read books, watch TV, and play games with his Ma. But Jack is different in a big way--he has lived his entire life in a single room, sharing the tiny space with only his mother and an unnerving nighttime visitor known as Old Nick. For Jack, Room is the only world he knows, but for Ma, it is a prison in which she has tried to craft a normal life for her son. When their insular world suddenly expands beyond the confines of their four walls, the consequences are piercing and extraordinary.


My Thoughts
This was my first book I purchased on my new kindle which I got for Christmas. This is a December group read in a group on GoodReads called basically books in which me and a friend mod. So as soon as I got the kindle I bought this. This cover I feel is the best cover out of the 3 covers I have saw, it shows what the book is about. The blurb makes me just want to read it and that is what I did.

I only read about 11% and I was glued to the book, every time I had free time I picked up my kindle and read, I even stayed up late just to read some of this. Being told by a 5-year-old boy is completely different than if its being told by a teenager or an adult. The vocabulary is not as good and the way the sentences are structured and said is different. Being told by a 5-year-old boy makes me understand the situation better and its my first time reading a book being told by such a young narrator if I say so. The story line is a great and its kind of sad as well though the only thing I can say is, I liked the ending.

There is not many characters in the first half of this book, but more are introduced in the second half. I will only talk about 3 characters. The 3 characters I'm going to talk about are Ma, Jack and Old Nick, because I feel they are the main ones to me.
The main character Jack is a 5-year-old boy who has been brought up in a small room and who sleeps in the wardrobe most nights. He doesn't know there's anything outside, he doesn't even know there is an outside. I feel in my opinion jack is such a cutie and so innocent that I feel for him in so many ways. I wished I could of helped him.. took him out the room and showed him the outside world, but of course its a book not reality. He is brave and I loved the way he told the story.
Ma, who is Jacks mother was kidnapped when she was a teenage girl by a guy named Old Nick, she didn't know why and she was so scared. After a while she gave birth to Jack and tried to raise him as best as she could in a small room and didn't tell him about the outside world. I feel very sorry for her, she was an innocent teenage girl and yet this happened.. she is brave and I like her lot. I understood her reasons for not telling him about the outside as she thought he would never see it.
Now there's not much to say about Old Nick other than he's a very bad person and I don't like what he did. Just thinking of men like that makes my skin crawl.

I heard the author wants this kind of idea to be a movie. I would love that very much. 
Would you like it to be a movie or not? 

My overall opinion on this book is that its very sensitive to things that happens in real life, its utterly amazing and I loved every page I read. The characters are realistic and the way it ends is an amazing ending.
I recommend this book to people who read YA and loves reading as much as I do :)


Tara
Rating:




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments :D So please Comment :D haha

My goodreads :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...